Mar 3, 2009

Travel

Over spicy noodles and very spicy pizza at a big box restaurant this past Sunday, Greg and I spoke of dream travel destinations. We had fun musing about cities and countries and landmarks to take in and explore. We've each spent time in Western Europe, but our travels are limited beyond that. In an attempt to follow up on that conversation and set some travel goals for myself, here is a list of some of the places I hope to visit (in some cases again) in my lifetime.

1. Paris, France -- My grandmother told me it is a wonderful city to visit with your lover. Though I've been to Paris twice before, I cannot say those journeys have been the slightest bit romantic (both were taken with classmates). Donning a scarf and requisite striped t-shirt, I would scan ParisVoice or Pariscope to get a sense of what was happening in the cultural community. I would linger over lunch at the Musee D'Orsey cafe or the Centre Georges Pompidou cafe, and spend an afternoon in the gardens surrounding Musee Rodin. I imagine a holiday spent eating camembert and eclairs, and strolling along the Seine. To be truthful, I think it would be wonderful to spend a stint as a freelance writer living in the 11th Arrondissement's Bastille district.

With flower markets like this, who wouldn't want to be inspired by Paris?

2. Berlin, Germany -- Neither Greg or I have been, and as we've both studied German (he much more significantly than I), it seems a real shame. Friends who have travelled there speak of the promptness of public transit and the juxtaposition of new and old. I think Greg and I could be quite happy with him teaching Canadian politics comparatively at a German English-speaking University, while I scoped out life in Pankow and absorbed the inner workings of German federalism.

Berlin

3. Tokyo, Japan -- My number one must visit place in Asia; Tokyo's pod-hotels combined with Lost in Translation make me curious. I'd love to take a lesson on how to make sushi in the city before leaving to explore the rural reaches of the Island nation.

Tokyo

4. Bora Bora, French Polynesia -- I've never been on a sun and sand vacation; as such, Bora Bora seems like a great place to start. Snorkeling and scuba diving would be on my to-do list.

Bora Bora

Photo of the Paris flower market by Kari Herer, of Berlin by Joanna Goddard, of Tokyo by UCLA, and of Bora Bora by Style Hive.

No comments:

Post a Comment