Mar 6, 2009

Ballet

Ballet class has been improving.

I should rephrase my previous statement; I have been improving at ballet. Ballet requires all my concentration just to make a semi-passable movement. The dance isn't for the faint of heart either; your feet are bound to cramp and ache after a good class. I have such admiration for ballet dancers like Beatriz Stix-Brunnell. These women (and men!) truly blend artistry from the waist up with athleticism from the waist down. It is only now occurring to me that my face, my expression is as important as my feet work when I dance. I have much to learn and am happy Dance Alberta will be offering classes throughout the summer.

I am inspired by the three hundred years of dancers that came before me and have accomplished what I certainly will not (time and natural talent not being on my side). Photographer Richard Calmes has beautiful galleries of ballerinas that showcase the grace and elegance of the dancers and the dance. Here are some images that inspire and encourage me:

If I have learned one thing from my three months in ballet, it is that you must in your life take on and work towards mastering skills and abilities that do not come naturally to you. I have long said I have no rhythm. While this has not changed much, I now am doing something about it instead of accepting the title I foisted upon myself. There have not been too many occasions in my life where I have tried things that I didn't already know I could conquer. Ballet opens up my possibilities beyond just 'doing what comes naturally'.

Photos via Richard Calmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment