Mar 24, 2009

Read

I'm currently coming up to the back end of The Private Lives of Pippa Lee - a layered-cake novel that skips forwards and backwards in Pippa's life. Hers is a life married safely to a man thirty years her senior, estranged from her family and stuck smack dab in the middle of a retirement community at age fifty. I purchased the book in a bin at Chapters a few weeks ago. I hadn't heard of the author, Rebecca Miller, and felt safe that this wouldn't become another novel turned movie. It seems every book I've read in the past while has become a movie!

Of course my bubble bust this morning when I found out that Pippa Lee is indeed a movie - complete with a full Hollywood cast of Robin Wright Penn, Keanu Reeves, Julianne Moore, Alan Arkin and Winona Rider. Was I the only one oblivious? I think Wright Penn is a great choice to play Pippa and am now curious to watch the flick.

The next book on my 'to read' list is Manitobian Miriam Toews' The Flying Troutmans and its dysfunctional family road trip. I caught Toews on a CBC spot over the weekend that reminded me to snatch up this novel. Toews' A Complicated Kindness was a fantastic read and I'm excited about her ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment