Mar 31, 2009

Toys

As a child for birthdays and Christmas, I'd ask for microscopes, books about mathematics, tarot cards and brain teaser games. For those from St. John's, my wish lists were comprised of toys and books from Carnaby Row and Granny Bates. I adored Klutz Press and Peggy Parish's Amelia Bedelia books. I spent many a rainy afternoon in my basement playing Jewels in the Attic.

At this point in my life, I find myself drawn to toys and creative books once again. As evidence, I bought Greg an Eames' House of Cards for Valentine's Day and I have just begun reading the cartoon novel, French Milk.

My internet travels have found me stumbling upon other fun toys for people of all ages. I think my attraction to these colourful confections is a way to counter the seriousness of other aspects of my life such as deciding how to invest my RRSPs and ensuring my car is tuned up regularly.

Here are some pieces I'm currently enjoying:

Alexander Girard's Wooden Dolls - Girard worked for Herman Miller, and designed textiles for the Eames'. Originally constructed for his home in Santa Fe, the dolls are hand painted. To purchase, see here. Photo via Design Sponge.


Belua Designs' Sock and Sweater Monsters - Each Saturday, Greg and I feast our eyes on these stuffed dolls at the Strathcona Farmer's Market. I love that the toys are locally made and think they'd be a fun addition to our couch. To purchase, see here. Photo via Belua Designs.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for mentioning my monsters on your blog! I really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete