Mar 9, 2009

Barbie

As a child, my neighbourhood friend Heather and I were inseparable. We started a summer camp for the kids on our cul-de-sac and rode our bikes around Bowring Park. We were the young entrepreneurs of Sesame Park. We watched Degressi High, built tree houses, wore lots of pink and sometimes, we played Barbies.

I much preferred my Magic Nursery doll to Barbie because her long legs and rubbery body made it difficult to change outfits. Though Magic Nursery have been forgotten and passed on for Bratz and other newer dolls, Barbie remains a controversial icon.

Today Barbara Millicent Roberts celebrates her 50th birthday. Over time she's gained a belly button (age 41) and bendable knees (age 5). She's had tattoos and nose piercings. She's made a living as an Olympic gold medalist, a Mountie, an Army cadet, and an astronaut. Many style columnists say she's an inspiration to us all to push the boundaries of what is possible and experience everything life has to offer. Others say she creates an unrealistic image of female beauty.

Barbie's looked like this:


And this:

And this:

I might buy a Barbie for a child as a toy, but I'd also encourage them to consider the fun of paper dolls. I remember many fun afternoons spent playing with paper dolls that had been passed down from my mother and grandmother. Their clothes are quite easy to change!

I once received a set of Shirley Temple paper dolls from my Great Aunt as a gift. I enjoyed looking at the book of dolls with its glossy pages so much that I didn't get around to cutting them out. I think my hesitancy to cut them out shows I was always more keen to play with books than dolls.

Photos via Brisbane Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment