Feb 25, 2009

House of Cards

Ideas are cheap. Always be passionate about ideas and communicating those ideas and discoveries to others in the things you make. -- Charles Eames

For Valentine's Day, I eschewed predictable boyfriend gifts and went out on a limb in purchasing an Eames House of Cards for Greg from the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. As someone drawn to bright colours, I thought he'd enjoy constructing houses, bridges and statues out of the thirty-two die-cut cards. Every few evenings, we seem to deconstruct the structure and rebuild it to showcase new patterns and to liven up our dining space. The cards appeal to our mid-century modern sentiments.

Here is a photo of our current House of Cards construction:

Charles and Ray created five different sets of the cards from the 1950-1970s. The photos depict familiar and nostalgic objects from the animal, vegetable and mineral kingdoms. There are also a handful of patterned cards with checkerboard layouts, diamonds, stripes and polka dots.


The House of Cards is only one of the Eames and company designs that I covet. I hope to add to our collection with an Eames Hang-It-All. The cherry device, manufactured for Herman Miller, looks playful and practical and would be sure to brighten up a drab entryway. I can picture mittens-on-strings, colourful pashminas and jean jackets hanging from its perches.

Though not an Eames design, a George Nelson sunburst clock would make the perfect timepiece for any kitchen. For similarly interesting designs that lack the history, but will make up for it by creating a smaller dent in your pocketbook, try Umbra. This clock perfectly blends style and function.


Finally, I'd love to put an Eames molded plastic rocker in the nursery of my future children. With a warm throw, it would make a great place to read stories and rock a little one to sleep. As a bonus, I could pass the chair on to my son or daughter when it came time for them to move out. What young adult wouldn't love an Eames rocker in their first apartment? I think it would be a fun and stylish reminder of their childhood.

To find and purchase favourites of your own, check out the Eames Office. The Office communicates, preserves and extends the legacy and work of Charles and Ray. If I ever find myself in Santa Monica, the Office will be on my must-visit list.

Photos are from the Eames Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment