Feb 27, 2009

Wallpaper

I grew up in a purple bedroom with one wall dressed in wallpaper that looked like a checkerboard drawn with magic markers. As I matured, the room was given a makeover and that same wall received a new navy floral pattern. I can remember my Grandfather applying the paper with the greatest attention to detail. I can remember watching him dip the paper in water as I sat perched on my desk. Every vine, rosebud and bloom lined up perfectly; it remains a true masterpiece and continues to hang in my mother's home.

Perhaps as a product of my own experience, I think one wall decked in paper can be a great complement to any room. My belief only strengthens over time as designers introduce higher quality papers and more artistic prints. Wallpaper no longer needs to be associated with country borders and tole paint.

For a great bold print for a den or child's room, seek Minakani, a Parisian design duo who recently launched a line of wallpapers that have a hand drawn feel. The handmade look reminds me of my childhood wallpaper, minus the 1980s neon look.

If I was designing a workspace or dining room, I'd choose a Romo paper as worn by the office of Design Inc. I love the graphic lines and think white dishes would play off the flowers quite nicely.

P.S. Is anyone else excited about the forthcoming launch of Sarah's Cottage this spring? I loved season one and season two of Sarah's House. Season two actually made 1960s back-splits in suburbia seem desirable!

Photos are from Minakani and Romo.

No comments:

Post a Comment