Feb 17, 2009

Blue Print

Watching movies, driving down the street, talking to friends about real estate, any of these occurrences is as likely as another to lead Greg and I to a discussion on the sorts of homes we envision ourselves inhabiting. In pursing these conversations with him, I think short term and long term. I debate the merits of a jelly bean row house in St. John's, a condominium in English Bay, Vancouver, and an 'Edmonton-Special' in our current city. My mind runs over different cities and locations, not to mention lifestyles. In pursuing my daydreams a little further, I came across Small Blue Printer Dot Com. As I munched on my brown bagged lunch today, I took a moment to design one housing possibility.

Inspired by a home in Palm Springs, California, designed by Richard Neutra in 1937, this is the house I would love to build to maximize a rocky ocean view (such as this one) just outside my hometown of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. This is the inspiration:




Though the view would be quite different from the dessert the inspiration inhabits, I cannot think of a more fantastic way to watch the seasons change. With so many windows you'd experience the eye of a snowstorm, watch icebergs drift by as you washed dishes and feel the warm sun heat the living room on a bright summer day.

Here is my interpretation:


While the plot of land I've envisioned for this house is considerably larger than the construction above requires, it would make a great opportunity for gardening, tree houses, and income - by selling off unused acres.

No comments:

Post a Comment