Feb 1, 2009

Fondant Cakes

The Samsung in our living room rests mostly on Slice, HGTV or whatever station is playing The King of Queens, Two and A Half Men or Family Guy. Our television viewing is habitual (to say the very least). While televisions all across North America are today showing the Super Bowl, I've taken my solo time in the living room as an opportunity to watch The Food Network's Ace of Cakes. Having the ability to make a fondant cake is a skill I've added to my rolling list.

To explain the rolling list... I am a list-maker. I use excel to map out all sorts of life decisions. I enjoy having plans and working towards set goals. Since finishing graduate school, I have waxed and waned on not having set goals to work towards. Greg offered me a great solution while making dinner a few weeks ago - keep a list of things beyond work and education that I would like to work towards. Sketched out in the back of our 2009 planner is a list of life skills I would like to acquire and adventures I would like to undertake. One of those skills is to learn to make a fondant cake. This desire is the reason behind my new found love of Ace of Cakes. In taking the first steps to acquire this skill, I've scanned YouTube for videos and have found out that Michael's often offers fondant cake classes. Here's to pursing yummy learning that doesn't involve term papers or final exams!

1 comment:

  1. For your viewing audience Katie, I'd like to point out that I don't watch Slice as much as you suggest. My preference is for the new show we saw last week (episode III) on CBC - Wild Roses. It's suprising how similar art mimics reality in this "fictional" peek at work and play in the Alberta. Tight-fitting suits, intrigue, cowboy hats, and 6 inch heels ... all in a day in urbran Edmonalgary.

    ReplyDelete