Feb 3, 2009

Molecular Models

In elementary school my mom enrolled me in Future SET - Future Scientists, Engineers and Technologists. A program to encourage young people to consider careers in applied science, I hung out at Memorial's S.J. Carew building constructing houses, making ice cream in a chemistry lab and learning about donating your body to science at the medical school over the summer. I have fond memories of my brief stint in applied sciences even though my educational and career path is decidedly not one of a scientist.


In high school, I took biology and psychology, not chemistry and physics. I certainly have not memorized the periodic table of elements. However, I can appreciate the beauty found in other disciplines even though I barely understand the introductory course language. I wrote a bit ago about the beauty of everyday objects. I came across this vintage molecular set on ebay today and think it would make a great sculpture to display on top of a bookshelf. This is true beauty in function (which I recognise even though I am incapable of building accurate models).

No comments:

Post a Comment