Feb 8, 2009

Wild Tangerine

Order the house special. Do your research. Do not be afraid to try the dish critics rave about even if you're not initially drawn to it. This is a lesson I am happy to say I have learned.

When living in St. John's I enjoyed reading Karl Wells' reviews of local haunts. Reading those critiques was different than reading a restaurant review in Edmonton though - chances are I'd been there before and had my own take on the kitchen's offerings. Karl's insights were simply a yardstick to measure my own opinions against.

In discovering Original Fare Dot Com, I have taken to reading reviews before dining out at a new cafe. Before heading to Culina, I heard overwhelming praise for the steak with dirty mashed potatoes, blue cheese and chocolate sauce. I tried it. I loved it. I look forward to eating it again. I rarely order red meat at a restaurant and tend to think chocolate is best served for dessert. This said, I am very happy I took a leap and trusted the view of the foodies.

Last evening, Greg and I joined some friends at Wild Tangerine. Before leaving the apartment, I read review after review that sang the praises of the shrimp lollipops with wasabi yogurt. I am not normally the biggest fan of wasabi; I do not mix it with my soy sauce when eating an unagi roll. However, the shrimp skewers wrapped in angel-hair phyllo pastry were memorable. The yogurt had a welcome kick. I will be sure to order them again.

The decor of the restaurant was fun too. Check it out:

Wild Tangerine is located in Oliver and is run by brother and sister team, Wilson and Judy Wu. Call ahead; reservations are highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment