Feb 23, 2009

Food Styling

The takeaway hamburger that never looks as juicy as in its television commercial. The home cooked meal that never looks as colourful as in the recipe book. The key lime pie that never looks as perfectly presented as in the clips of a cooking show.

The presentation of food in our society can be deceptive. It can also be appetizing. A photograph of any type of food can make my mouth water if taken correctly. I get cravings for food simply by seeing a picture. Photos make me interested in tasting new foods. Photos are a gateway for discovering new styles of cooking. Photos make me think about ways to breath new life into routine ingredients. I enjoy recipes, and I am drawn to recipes often through the photos that accompany them. I am also drawn to food photography because it reveals the shapes and colours of food that we so often miss in our hectic day to day lives.


The central player in the visual representation of the taste, flavour, colour and shape of food is the food stylist. I have never quite understood how one finds oneself working as a food stylist. It seems an unlikely career foisted on a high school student by their guidance councillor. Food styling and food photography seems brilliantly interesting, but would have never occurred to me when I was thinking ahead to my own employment possibilities. Perhaps people find their passion through photography, painting or sketching still life, cooking school or design for other mediums. Undoubtedly, the path varies.


In searching for cooking classes in the Edmonton area, I came across the website of a local food stylist - Fabulous Food Creations. I enjoy the simplicity of backdrop in these photos. The white screens, counter tops and dishes allow the colour and shape of the food to take centre stage. The beauty of a grilled pepper or red onion is amazing. I admit, rarely when I am slicing and dicing for my own home cooked meals, do I take the time to really think about the form and beauty of the foods I am using to sustain myself.


Greg has mused about purchasing a new camera and turning back to an older hobby of taking photographs. I have to admit, looking at these simple photos makes me want to encourage him further to pursue that passion, even if his ideas about taking photos are less about food, and more about people and scenery than mine are.


The photos on this post were each taken by Lovoni Walker of Fabulous Food Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment