Feb 5, 2009

Design Sponge

A short while ago, I wrote about considering the decision to buy a house or a condo. As favour in discussions on this matter have tipped towards purchasing a condominium, I cannot help but be inspired by the sneak peeks offered into the homes of people working in the art and design world on Design Sponge Online Dot Com. The ability to get an inside glimpse into so many beautifully decorated homes takes my love of people watching to a whole new level. These sneak peeks describe the function of the rooms, the decision-making process on how to decorate and the ultimate need to surround yourself with things you find beautiful. I have been collecting images from this site for the past few weeks and today, as I eat lunch and scan the saved jpgs, I notice trends in my design preferences.

1. White walls with colourful furniture, wall hangings and accessories.
2. A modern minimalist vibe.
3. A desire for a home that reflects casual, everyday living.
4. Industrial kitchens.

Here are some of my favourite rooms:

The graphic nature of the prints combined with the country flair of the pillows and the Gerber daisies creates an uncomplicated, easily replicable room.

I would have never thought to combine red chairs with lime green walls, but here it works. In this complete renovation, the homeowners created a modern kitchen worthy of the finest boutique restaurants.

This Brooklyn apartment is everything I love about white walls - the walls allow the colour of even the most basic accessory to pop. I adore the hot pink doilie and the portrait pillow with the striped chair.

This Portland home is ideal. It is stocked full of discussion pieces, yet feels light and spacious. This living room is a throw back to the modern era without seeming as if it is in a time warp.

No comments:

Post a Comment