Feb 4, 2009

The Fiddle and The Drum

It has twice been brought to my attention, once in an email from my friend Howard and another time by a poster Greg and I spotted on a street post, that Joni Mitchell has collaborated with the Alberta Ballet on a new full-length production that is set to open in Edmonton later this month. I have never been to a proper ballet, but my interest in doing so has significantly increased since beginning my own dance lessons a few weeks ago. I now have concrete admiration and appreciation for just how difficult it is to master ballet.

The Fiddle and The Drum originally premiered in February 2007 and has since played across North America. According to Alberta Ballet Dot Com, the ballet explores the human spirit's potential to create and destroy; its ability to love and hate; its capacity for war and peace.

I think this ballet would be a great mid-semester treat to reflect on what I have learned. As I practice floor work in the apartment tonight, I cannot imagine the skill it would take to perform ballet live for an expectant audience. For now, I'll focus on combining the correct arm and feet positions.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, ballet night! I'm going to make popcorn to eat while I watch you do floor work.

    ReplyDelete