Feb 10, 2009

Foodie

There was a time when I thought I would be employed as a journalist. When I was eighteen, the spreadsheet saved on my desktop laying out my courses semester by semester for four long years had me completing an English honours degree and then attending graduate school in media and editing. During my time at Memorial, my preferences and career goals shifted from a desire to write about policy and politics as it happened to a desire to write about policy and politics before it became public. This said, I thoroughly enjoyed the time in my late teens and early twenties that I spent working in radio and print.

As the time between when I fancied myself a journalist and now widens, I have become increasingly interested in wider media and journalism. If you had asked me when I was in high school which media outlet I would have sought for employment, I would have been likely to say CBC television or a major Canadian daily newspaper. I wouldn't have thought too much about online media (though I did get my start in an online forum as a ninth grade reporter with School Net News) and specialty magazines. I wouldn't have expected to enjoy third way media so much.


In my internet browsing, I have found a small Swiss publication that I quite fancy - Foodie. Reporting on the culinary world in Paris, Toronto and Zurich, this online food magazine combines European and Canadian inspirations. Currently, Foodie has issued five runs. This month's version focuses on Portable Eats. As I munch on my packed lunch, I enjoy the recommendations, especially the think of the dot com anti-theft lunch bags. Foodie sources a number of new breads to try (sativa, dinkel, para, chappati whole grain wraps) and interesting recipes to pile on top of the breads. To make your own, simply take one of these:


And add pear slices, blue cheese, star fruit and butter:

Or add grilled yellow peppers soaked in olive oil, sundried tomatoes, grilled eggplant, pesto and salami:

To check out all the sandwich recipes click here.

(Photos from Foodie).

No comments:

Post a Comment