Jan 27, 2009

Coffee Table Books

On our coffee table sits 'A Modern Life: art and design in British Columbia 1945-1960'. If I could find a book of Newfoundland/English artist Peter Bell's 'Studio Views', I would lay it out for perusal as well. I'm also inclined to think The 48 Laws of Power and Stuff White People Like are interesting books to lay around during a house party (of course, deciding which of those two to set out depends on the company you keep).

I've occasionally thought about how coffee table books are good devices to subtly shape a party. These books also reveal a lot about the owner of the coffee table in the same way as peeking in a medicine cabinet or seeing the contents of a person's purse is telling.

My recent web find sets you free from choosing only from the coffee table books available at your local book shop or gift store - it allows you to make your own! Surf on over to Blurb dot com. What a fun and modern alternative to scrapbooking or placing polaroids in a photo album. I think making a photo book would be a great way to spend a snowy afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment