Jan 25, 2009

Beauty In the Everyday

In moving into a small space, I've quickly learned two design lessons:

1. Make room only for things you love.
2. Combine beauty and function by choosing attractive appliances and gadgets.

Square footage has partially lead me to come to the above conclusions, but our lease has also had its own influence. The contract dictates that we can only make two holes in each wall. As a result, colour and interest have to come from more than just artwork and photos. This reality combined with limited display space means that I'm drawn to cooking aides and other household gadgets that serve as art and have practical functions.

My first favourite marriage of style and function is this 1930s German watering can. A Christmas present from Greg, he found this treasure at an antique mall in Strathcona that was unfortunately shut down this January. The flow of water from the arched spout is quite beautiful.

My second favourite piece is our stainless steel utensil holder (which everyone in Alberta seems to own!) filled with colourful kitchen gadgets. This past summer, Greg and I decided to keep our kitchen colourful by purchasing our spoons and such in every colour available at La Gnome. I think the turquoise garlic press is my favourite purchase, though the striped salad spoons are a close second. The best part is that the placement of the utensils changes the shape of the 'sculpture' continually. With an otherwise beige kitchen, I'll take my colour where I can get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment