Jan 19, 2009

Janvier

Have you ever stumbled upon a treasure that has unexpectedly become the envy of those around you?

When I started a new job in August, the walls of my office were a prefab grey. It was as if they were begging for colour. Noticing the starkness of my newly constructed office, a colleague recommended I scour a pile of discarded artwork down the hall. An abandoned office was strewn with paintings, prints and photographs that had been removed in recent renovations and had yet to find new homes.

In addition to two fruit and wine still life pictures with great colour but narrow appeal, I selected a cartoon-esque poppy print and the most wonderful graphic spill of colour on a white page. I was immediately drawn to the latter, but the origins of the painting were then unknown to me.

The artist, as I would come to be told, was Alex Janvier. Janvier is an Aboriginal artist of Dene Suline and Sautleaux descent from Alberta, a graduate of the Alberta College of Art in Calgary and a former lecturer in fine art at the University of Alberta. For those of you interested in comparisons, he cites his influences as Wassily Kandinsky and Paul Klee. His work is a reflection of the challenges and celebrations of life.


This painting has been the launching pad for many conversations at my office. Apparently many had wondered where "the Janvier" had disappeared. I feel grateful to say it sits adjacent to my monitor and provides endless enjoyment as I go about my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment