Jan 20, 2009

Grande Plié

In recent months, I have begun having vivid dreams. At least a few mornings a week, I awaken with the recollection that I have pieced conscious and unconscious thoughts from the day prior together into a theatrical production.

In November I dreamt of ballet and dancing. It is important that I be clear here; I have no rhythm and my only experience in ballet is from classes taken in kindergarten and first grade. This experience is twenty years stale now. All the next day, I kept thinking of ballet and how I'd like to try my hand at dance lessons once again.

A scan of the yellow pages, a snowy visit to Etoile Dance Shoppe (a wonderful ballet store just northwest of the Gallery District at 10990 124 Street), assistance from my mother in sewing the shoe straps on correctly, and I was prepared to embark on my new hobby - ballet.



Earlier this month, I began taking adult beginner lessons at a non-profit dance studio in Edmonton called Dance Alberta. I wear a leotard and pink tights. I pile my hair high on my head. I look as much like a ballerina as one could reasonably expect. That is until I start moving. Ballet is a difficult art form! I am not as flexible as my yoga classes led me to believe. I have limited arm/feet coordination. I seldom point the correct foot forward. I have difficulty remembering all the positions.

In spite of all of these challenges, I am thoroughly enjoying learning something new and having an opportunity to meet new people in my new city.

No comments:

Post a Comment