Jan 27, 2009

Smart Cookie

I've sat on the floor at Chapters and leafed through guides on how to organize your finances, create (and stick to) a budget and plan for the future. Though I feel these types of self-help books are a great resource, my limited knowledge and understanding of the financial world often leaves me scratching my head as I attempt to absorb their advice. I budget using excel and I file utility and grocery bills to keep a handle on how much living in 2009 costs. However, I do have a desire to bone up on my knowledge of investing. The turbulence in the markets these days has made the reality that smart investing is very important hit home.



Every few mornings, I leaf through the Metro on the subway to work. I've taken to reading the column by Vancouver's Smart Cookies. These five women changed their financial futures by opening up to each other about their credit card statements, their student loans, their limited salaries. As a result, they've created an empire of dispelling advice on how to remain on a stable financial footing.

Check out their calculators to find out how much of a mortgage you can afford or to compare credit card rates.

A few tips I've gathered from my reading include:

1. Save money on gas by avoiding the drivethru and parking in the first spot you see at the mall.

2. Open a new tax-free savings account

3. Get a part time job at a retailer whose items you would normally buy or would like to save up to purchase to maximize the employee discount.

*Photo courtesy of the National Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment