May 14, 2009

ATCs

A few moments ago I was walking through the lobby of Stanley A. Milner public library in Churchill Square. After finally receiving the hold I'd placed on Miriam Toews' The Flying Troutmans, I snuck through the Second Cup to avoid the chilly wind of this Edmonton day. Before the entrance to the coffee shop was an artist's tree that caught my eye. In place of shiny bulbs were beautiful small cards, each hanging on strings from the branches. In peering closer, and reading the description, I came to find out that the tree was hung with Artist Trading Cards. They were truly beautiful.

I've never been into trading cards. Throughout my secondary school years, classmates collected baseball and hockey cards, magic cards and even pokemon cards. I've never had a real collection in fact, but my brother lugged around albums of cards for years. This tree is the closest I've ever come to wanting to be a card collector. I'd much rather play card games like cribbage and auction/120s/railroad/call for your partner.

Artist Trading Cards (or ATCs) are miniature versions of art similar in size to a hockey card. ATCs developed out of the mail art movement and originated in Switzerland. Like their baseball cousins, the cards are usually traded or exchanged rather than sold. For a compete 'how-to' on this world check here. I think the cards are a great alternative to a business card and a creative way to engage others in your artwork. Photos of ATCs via Art in Your Pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment