May 4, 2009

Water

I should drink more water; Greg reminds me of this reality all the time. I sometimes think keeping lemon and lime slices cut in the fridge and a bag of ice chips in the freezer would make me drink more water. After all, am I the only one who thinks a glass of water in a restaurant tastes better than one served from your own kitchen?

To encourage myself to drink more water, I undertook a bus adventure in Ottawa with a number of friends about seven years ago. On our first day in the city, we armed ourselves with a handful of bus tickets and headed for Mountain Equipment Co-op. We got lost (at least once... though my memory is fuzzy on the details) and I almost got hit by a bus. The trek was all in the name of purchasing a Nalgene bottle, which were not readily available in St. John's at the time.

After a spell of freezing water in the fridge at night and toting it to class, we're all informed that the bottle's polycarbonate plastic is hazardous to our health, and suddenly those concerns lead to a decline in my water intake. Sadly, I've yet to replace my water bottle with one of the stainless steel variety.

In lieu, I grab glasses of water from the cooler in my office's kitchen when I remember. Otherwise, I've jumped on the trend wagon and am downing Vitamin Water like the masses. While I know they should contain less sugar and calories, they make me feel like I'm doing something at least half healthy and that has to count for something... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment