May 11, 2009

Neon

Whyte Avenue has a sprinkling of neon; the signs and the tubes wrapped around light posts are my favourite part of the street at night. Here's a sample of the Chevrolet dealership on the strip. I think the retro feel adds to the life of the street.

Vancouver has some notable retro neon signs too, such as the 'preserved' Bowmac sign on the Toys R Us on West Broadway and the swinging lady at Helen's Children's Wear on Hastings Street.

I'd like to visit Las Vegas to catch a glimpse of the neon lights. Perhaps my love of neon colours has something to do with being a child of the 80s? These glass tubes filled with neon, argon, helium, krypton and xenon never fail to catch my eye.

Flickr is a great place to find photos of fun vintage neon signs. Here is one of my favourite finds. For more photos, check out this group.

Photos via JMR64, Bob 2006, and G Meadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment