May 30, 2009

Mom


As wonderful coincidence might have it, my mother arrived in Edmonton last night for a work conference. Though she's busy with executive meetings for a few days, she's scheduled a longer foray in the City of Champions so we can catch up. We're planning to check out the delicious Culina Highlands! Greg and I are also travelling to Vancouver with my mom to introduce our mothers. 

My mom lived in Vancouver for four years in the mid to late 1970s, so I'm excited to check out the town with someone who has a distinct past but scant recent recollection of the city. I believe her last visit there was in 1990 on a stopover to Hawaii.  Expo '86, the revitalization of Granville Island, the population boom of the 1990s, the shiny condo trend and now the construction of the 2010 Winter Olympics have all had a major impact on the footprint of the city. I'm curious if she'll recognise the town at all. 

It will be fun to stroll Kits Beach where my mom celebrated her 19th birthday and take in the breathtaking Sea Wall in Stanley Park. Apparently there are also plans (mother dictated) to walk across a suspension bridge in North Vancouver (though not the Capilano, rather the Lynn Canyon). 

I'm super happy to have these few weeks to spend together. Image via Le Love

No comments:

Post a Comment