May 31, 2009

Lunch

Over the past stint, I've caught the odd episode of Jamie's School Dinners. Though lacking in the sensationalism and glitz of American reality television, I think the revitalization of the experience of school children and daily meals that the show depicts is important. I support Jamie Oliver's food revolution. 

When I was in grade school, we didn't have a cafeteria. Instead, I took a packed lunch, went out for  lunch with my dad or travelled home to eat lunch with my mom or my grandma and cousins. However, for those children dependent on subsidized meals, making healthier meals with a greater variety of ingredients can only help to improve childrens' attitudes towards eating and widening their food preferences. 

If you happen to catch the show, it offers an interesting discussion of how childrens' exposure to food at a young age impacts their future views on nutrition. As a civil servant, the story line on how public priorities and resources are prioritized, and decided upon, is also a familiar reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment