Sep 13, 2009

Sweets

With our move, I've gotten out of the habit of testing new recipes during the week after work. Now that I'm back into the swing of the 9-5 world, our measuring cups and spoons, blender, wok and chopping knives beckon to me. Now that our kitchen tools have found a new home, it seems only fitting to put them to work.

Yesterday, Greg and I wandered around our neighbourhood to the curious and delightful Sweet Relic. Perched steps from a spectacular view of the industrial (by Vancouver standards) waterfront that is St. John's harbour, the coffee shop meets book and antique store is a great place to linger on a relaxing afternoon. Located on Signal Hill in the oldest home in Newfoundland and Labrador (as articulated by the historic plaque on its facade), Sweet Relic offers a great alternative to big box book stores and Starbucks' grande lattes.

While poking about the shop, I happened upon a hat box full of small recipe books organized by ingredient called Sugar & Spice by Keda Black. I've been thinking about recipes recently, and this box conjured up thoughts of chocolate and sweets and dessert recipes! For an online consortium of recipes, check out Design Sponge's 'In the Kitchen With' series. As an aside, I'll certainly be borrowing recipes from the series for our upcoming housewarming party (photos of the house and party to follow soon).

The groceteria nearby, Belbin's Grocery, also tempted my taste buds this weekend with its selection of oils, including pomegranate oil! Our neighbourhood has certainly offered up many culinary delights thus far (and I'm not even counting our proximity to the dining haunts on Duckworth and Water). All in all, I feel reinvigorated to express myself through food after this weekend. In fact, Greg and I are also joining a cheese club! The best part of this reinvigoration is that it's occurring only steps from our home, which fulfills our life goal of living, in the fullest sense of the word, in our own neighbourhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment