Aug 13, 2009

Chocolate

Besides beef and Banff National Park, Alberta is famous for its Bernard Callebaut chocolate. Before moving here, work colleagues of mine extolled its virtues. I had high expectations upon settling in Edmonton, which were thankfully met.

Like my arrival in Edmonton, my departure finds me pondering chocolate. In concluding things at my current position, in typical fashion I've spent some time chatting with colleagues and saying our farewells. One such conversation led to a discussion on the perfect number of people to invite to a party. Greg and I hosted a large party last March, but now I'm thinking 8 people is just perfect.

One pitfall to a small party, as articulated by my co-worker, is that the food expectations are heightened. With eight guests, people are less likely to be satisfied with pre-made burgers on a grill, coleslaw and a slab cake. With eight guests, people are looking for a glimpse into your cooking style and prowess.

Greg and I cook simply. We eat lots of soup, tomato and cucumber salads, grilled shrimp, stir frys and pasta. We enjoy cooking together (most of the time), but our sense of adventure in the kitchen wanes when work is hectic and our plates are filled with other endeavours. I occasionally get into a mood where I want to try new recipes. I collect the new ingredients from the supermarket (hello largely unused jar of turmeric) and try my hand at whipping up a new concoction. This whim has led to citrus salmon fillets, peanut soup and coconut shrimp. Sadly, I haven't been experimenting in the kitchen for a while.

In thinking about what sorts of meals might impress, my co-worker mentioned a chocolate party that she'd been invited to not long ago. I immediately thought chocolate fondue, brownies, creme de cacau; an adult take on a dessert party. However, my initial assumption was mistaken. Her friend's party included four proper courses that each included chocolate; think replacing chocolate fondue with chicken mole. Doesn't it sound like fun? I am getting excited at the prospect of mirroring this dinner party.

All this thinking about chocolate is making me want to watch Chocolat again. Image of upscale s'mores via Ulterior Epicure.

No comments:

Post a Comment