Apr 28, 2009

Night

I've never worked the night shift. I head to bed around 10 pm every night. I enjoy the dark evenings of fall, but treasure long days and sunshine even more. For safety reasons, I don't spend much time outside at night. In sum, I'm not a night owl.

Whenever I catch a 5 am flight, I'm always amazed at how quiet the city is: the hustle and bustle of commerce and commuting, of living and the daily grind, is washed away. The streets are empty save for a few late night bakery delivery trucks and cab drivers. There's a calm hum about town under the moonlight.


These amazing photos by Albertan photographer Levi Wedel capture the calm of places that are normally filled with noise when the sun is shining. These are places I rarely feast my eyes upon at night.


I am particularly struck by the photo of Tim Hortons - a place associated with anti drive-thru bylaws, massive lineups for double doubles, timbits and Boston cream donuts, and roll up the rim, it seems strangely beautiful when not jam packed with customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment