Dec 27, 2009

Earrings



This Christmas I have been blessed with endless generosity from my family and friends, near and far. Thank-you to each of you kind souls for your cards, gifts and warm wishes.

As she's far away, I'd like to thank my soon-to-be mother-in-law (MIL) for a collection of very lovely, thoughtful presents, particularly a set of retro earrings (complete with matching broach) that reflect both my love of buttons and my desire to learn about and be a part of my new family's history. Your collection of gifts to me was entirely generous and appreciated. Thank-you.

These earrings chase a similarly themed present from Christmas 2008. At that time, my MIL gave me a pair of earrings that Greg made from bike parts in 1992. He'd given them to his mom more than a decade earlier, and last year she passed them on to me. I was very touched by the gift. I've since decided that these presents, and the tins they came in (one a vintage tin that once belonged to Greg's great grandmother, the other a vintage cigarette case), will be passed along to our daughter or daughter-in-law or niece one day. What a lovely tradition Greg's mom has begun, and I look forward to continuing it.

Our little corner of the world has been aglow with possibility and excitement for the new year over the past few days. Happy New Year to all who might come across this post: many wishes for a happy 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment