Aug 18, 2009

Fork

Greg and I own (only) four place settings of flatware (which means our dining table for six is never maximized ... unless some guests are willing to share a spoon ... which I am ashamed to admit has happened). Our flatware budget was consumed quickly last summer without achieving sufficient quantity due to our strong opinions on the matter. I'm particular on the style of flatware (weighty and free of any embellishments or design) and Greg is particular on the shape of the spoon. Combined, these preferences made it difficult to find exactly what we were looking for when we stocked our kitchen.

After scoring one box of flatware, we called it a day and didn't bother looking for a matching set (due in part to the fact that we were already over-budget). Needless to say, our desire to entertain more cannot be fulfilled until we rectify this situation. Perhaps this is why I'm thinking of designing our dining room with entertaining only a few friends in mind.


Given that I know forks are one of our needs, I was immediately drawn to this column on the history of the fork on Design Sponge. My intrigue was compounded by the fact that as a Girl Guide I undertook lessons in dining etiquette (ashamedly I haven't retained many of the lessons). Did you know forks were once seen as immoral? For more of Amy Azzarito's columns on the past and present see here. Image via Julia Rothman via Design Sponge.

No comments:

Post a Comment