Apr 22, 2009

Monograms

Last night while discussing banking policy in Canada (I wish I was lying), Greg and I briefly arrived on the topic of initials and the sound pronouncing your initials makes - he's GEC, but I'm less pronounceable in English with the string of KJN. Try it, it's fun!

Despite being unable to pronounce my own initials, I think initials and monograms are used far less frequently than they should be in modern society. There is an elegance to a name like e.e.cummings that I enjoy. I swoon at the idea (and execution) of joint monograms for couples. Though people don't carry silk handkerchiefs or order (and use!) personalized stationary to write to friends far away as they did in the past, I think there are other ways to revive the beauty of the monogram.


You could place Alexandra Ferguson throw pillows on your bed or sofa to exclaim your stylish status as a couple. I also enjoy these pillow cases and these graphic custom portraits to express your love.


You could snap a Olive and Ollie colourful bib on your child to catch spills during mealtime. I like the colours and think one of these bibs would be a great shower present (or similarly, as a gift for friends who might benefit from a bib themselves while eating buffalo wings).

You could decorate your walls with a Household Words decal. This monogram would allow you to celebrate the fun of typography. If you're the type to have serious opinions about fonts (ie. the 'I send out my resume in Trebuchet so that it stands out' type), check out a documentary that I've also been wanting to see, Helvetica.

No comments:

Post a Comment