Feb 10, 2009

Isola Bella

I once read in Real Simple that it is a good idea to keep birthday, congratulations, thank you and other sorts of cards in your home so that in a pinch you can always share a kind thought with someone close to you. Last year, I found a sale at a local card shop and stocked up on a range of birthday cards.

This advice from Real Simple contradicts the lesson my mother taught me - cards are a waste of money, spend the money you would have spent on the card on the gift. This approach works fine for her because her friends and family know what to expect, and she always hand delivers presents so she is able to articulate in person how much the recipient means to her. The special part about my mom's ritual is that when you do receive a card or a letter it means a great deal. For someone like me, who is just as likely to pop a birthday present in the post as deliver it to a friend who lives close by, I grew to rely on e-cards. Hallmark has a great variety and I often send them (in addition to the required post on their Facebook wall).

Living quite far away from most people I am close to has caused me to rethink my approach to card sending. I purchased some great cards this fall with blank insides to send out as needed. I spent some time in Vancouver in November looking for cards and writing paper with Greg's mom. She thoroughly enjoys writing letters and is frequently putting something in the mail to us. When a piece arrives Greg is always certain to analyse the stamps affixed, as no detail is overlooked and the postage often reveals a message about the contents. I've started to open up more to the benefits of letter writing and card sending. My favourite cards are Isola Bella from Mudlark. Here are file folders with the same pattern:

If you happen to find yourself in Edmonton, I recommend checking out Chicken Scratch on Whyte Avenue for all your paperie needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment